Pit and Fissure Sealant Certification
OVIERVIEW OF THE COURSE: (16 clock hours)
This is a two-day course: Day 1= Lecture + Lab + 1st Patient (each other) Day 2= 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, Patients. You must bring your Safety Goggles and Lab Coat to the course.
Day #1 of Pit and Fissure Sealants: Class and Lab
- After we receive your tuition, we will mail you a Pit and Fissure Packet. The Packet will have all of the course work and study guide in it.
- Fill out the Study Guide and bring it with you to class.
- Study Guide - Must be completely filled out before you come to class.
- When you come to class on Day #1, make sure you have the Study Guide Completed. Also, bring all of the materials that we sent you.
- Lecture and Questions in the Classroom. Then you will take the Final Exam.
- We will then practice SEALANTS in LAB on a typodont.
Then we will seal our first patient's teeth. You will need to bring 1 patient to class to seal their teeth on Day 1. (You can use each other as patients - your classmates. Needs 1 virgin tooth in each quadrant to seal. We will seal 4 teeth)
Day #2 of Pit and Fissure Sealants: Clinical Day
- Day 2- You will need to bring Patient #2, #3, and #4 to class to seal them.
- Your patients need to have 4 teeth that can be sealed. Patient must be over 18. Needs 1 virgin tooth in each quadrant to seal. That equals 4 teeth to seal per patient.
- You must entirely fill out the "Pit and Fissure Sealant Final Exam Study Guide". It is helpful to pull that out first, and fill it out as you are reading the book.
- On the written Final Exam, you must get a 70% to pass the exam.
- For the Lab component, you will be given a typodont in class. You will need to seal all Premolars and Molars.
- Each student needs to get 4 (FOUR) patients. You can use each other. 2 patients must be used for the clinical exam. Each patient must have at least 4 virgin teeth. You must do at least 1 sealant on each quadrant of the mouth.
- Patients must be at least 18 year old. Fill out all forms (Evaluation Form, Consent, and Health History) for each patient.
Get your 4 HEALTH HISTORY forms NOW - You can use your practice's own health history forms.
Get your 4 CONSENT forms NOW - You can use your own practice's Consent forms.
You are in charge of your own Pit and Fissure Sealant RECORDS Folder! Within your folder, you must keep track of everything you do. Your RECORDS folder must be complete, in order, and signed off by Dr. Smudde in order for you to get your Pit and Fissure Sealant Certification.